Sunday, May 22, 2011

Unit 9 Final Project - Personal Application

I – Introduction
In order to integrate the methods and practices of integral health that produce human flourishing, we must commit to refocusing our energy, attention and efforts on exploring the uninhibited areas of the mind and its healing capabilities (Dacher, 2006).  Health and wellness professionals must develop psychologically, physically and spiritually if they wish to gain a full understanding of integral health, to recognize and assess the lack in the lives of their patients and to provide instruction and guidance to patients seeking integral health and wellness.  Dacher explains that one can not lead others to places they have never been (2006).  To achieve my goals, I need to develop all areas, some more than others to create the healthy balance that produces human flourishing
II – Assessment
The integral assessment has allowed me to assess my health in each domain by turning inward and honestly inspecting each domain.  On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest score, psychologically I rate myself a 6, spiritually I rate myself a 6 and physically I rate myself a 5.
III – Goal Development
A physical goal I have for myself is to loose 50 pounds by the end of the year, which will be my 50th birthday.  I also would like to condition myself so I can participate in a few of the local marathons for charity.  A psychological goal I have for myself is to incorporate the loving kindness subtle mind and meeting Asclepius practices into my morning routine.  A spiritual goal I have for myself is to be consistent with my morning devotions and to carry my gratitude rock so I am constantly reminded to give God thanks for everything, especially when I find things to complain about.
IV – Practices for Personal Health
Strategies I can implement to foster growth in my physical domain is to modify my eating habits.  I will begin by devising a menu where I am slowly minimizing, until I have completely removed red meat from my diet (this helps reduce my chances of red meat) and incorporate a cardiovascular program for about 4 days out the week to help me reach my weight loss goal of 50 pounds by the end of the year.  Strategies I can implement to help foster growth in my psychological domain is to join a yoga class and master some of the meditation teachings.  This week I discovered that free yoga classes are being offered on one of Sarasota’s prettiest beaches every morning, by a 32 year seasoned instructor.  This was meant to be.  I will also continue to practice the subtle mind, loving kindness and meeting Asclepius exercises until I am able to perform them in any type environment.  Strategies I can implement to help foster growth in my spiritual domain is to begin ALL of my mornings with prayer and thanksgiving.  I plan to intentionally say something nice, or perform a kind deed to someone in need, or make someone feel special.

V – Commitment
I will assess my progress or lack of progress through journaling, the use of the buddy system, and allow a professional, such as a yoga instructor to evaluate my progress.  I plan to journal this new journey, so others can benefit from it and I can identify my areas of weakness and strength.  I plan to develop a buddy system with someone who is unbiased, that can quickly recognize when I am slacking or loosing focus and has my best interest in mind.  Strategies I can use to help me maintain my long term practices for health and wellness is to educate myself on the benefits of different practices (the more I know, I can make better choices), use a variety of workouts and make them fun (power walking, swimming, hip hop abs, or kick boxing) so I do not become bored.  I will use my journal to measure my growth, progress and development, reward and celebrate my accomplishments and milestones.  Also, I will include someone new in my journey that can challenge my new found skills and so that I can teach and share what I have learned.

Reference
Dacher, Elliott, S. (2006).  Integral Health.  The Path to Human Flourishing. Basic Health Publications. Laguna Beach, CA.

3 comments:

  1. Deborah,
    being able to perform all the mentioned meditation practices in any setting is an awesome goal. That is one of the things I would like to accomplish because I know when I get into situations that make me nervous, I would like to be able to control my body with my mind at any time I need. Excellent way to reduce stress on the spot. Good luck with your desire to lose weight this summer.
    I have been working on my cardio work out and found that Zumba works really well and is fun. You get to dance your heart out. I have found some Zumba routines on the internet, I turn them on and away I go! Check em' out. Take care and good luck. Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah, I wish you well in your path to improvement. I think that you intentially saying something nice and performing a good deed is awesome. Not only will you give a gift to someone else but you will also reap the reward from this gesture of kindness. Good Luck and take care.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Deborah! I am sure you will have great luck with your plan! That is awesome to hear that free yoga classes are offered on the beach. How wonderful! I love doing yoga and for you to implement such practices like that into your life, you will be all the better for it. Your plan sounds very thorough and realistic, which is awesome. I see you mentioned Hip Hop Abs, too! I have ChaLean Extreme and my hubby is doing Insanity. Great programs =0) Have a great new life adventure!

    ReplyDelete