Saturday, May 7, 2011

Unit 7: Meeting Asciepius

The first time I did this exercise, I fell asleep about 7-10 minutes through the track.  I can remember feeling so relaxed, compared to the other times I performed the meditation exercises.  It took less time for the mental chatter to cease.  I guess I can consider that as a positive, as it is now taking less time for the mental chatter to stop.  My second attempt to complete the Asciepius exercise, I found myself really into this.  I felt like I was communicating with my grandmother.  She passed away about 15 years ago and we were very close.  She was kind, generous, compassionate and affectionate.  I have consistently completed these practices each week, but I feel I have a ways to go.  Continuing these practices with a skillful practitioner can help me apply these practices and foster greater health and wellness.

The saying, "one cannot lead another where one has not gone himself," implies that practitioners must be active participants in their own health and wellness in order to assist others.  As a professional, I can not be effective in treating my patients if I am not or have not participated in similar exercises.

2 comments:

  1. Deborah:

    It is great to know that this exercise was easy for you and your mental chatter became less. For me it was hard to focus. All I wanted to focus on was my mother and couldn't even get that done. I truly believed that stresss had a lot to do with my focus this week. I hope to obtain a calm mind the next time I attempt.

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JD, I know exactly what you mean when you say you wanted to focus on a particlar thing and can't do it. I must tie this in with the rest of the question posed in section 2. Inorder for us to help our patients cope with stressful situations and find healthy ways to calm their minds, we must teach by example. We must be consistent and strategic when planning our exercise so we can get our desired results. I practice my exercises very early in the morning when the kids and the house is very quiet and free of distractions. I even practice a few times throughout the day in different environments so I will have the ability to meditate, no matter whats going on around me. JD, I 'm not were I want to be with the exercise, but I certainly see the difference in my personality and how I respond to challenges throughout my day. JD I encourage you to practice at the most quiet time of the day or night until you are able to minimize the mental chatter. Once you have mastered that, then try it at other times of the day and in different environments to strengthen your tecnique. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete