Saturday, April 23, 2011

Unit 5: The Key Role of Thought in Wellness and Healing

The past  two weeks have been somewhat chaotic and depressing for me because my best girlfriend of 20+ years was diagnosed with breast cancer - stage 2.  When she told me, it felt like a ton of bricks hitting me in my chest.  We both cried for days.  I missed a few days of work and maybe a week or so from class.  I completely detached myself from everything and everyone.  A kiss and a hug from my son let me know I was needed.  After tending to their needs, I listened to Loving Kindness and Subtle Mind Practices.  They were right on time for me and what I was experiencing.  According to the Loving Kindness Practice, I must be concerned about the health and welfare of others with a diminish focus on myself and focus on others.  This practice was difficult and I could not seem to focus, all kinds of thoughts were coming from everywhere.  I could not get it to still.  As for the Subtle Mind Practice, it was all about me, my breathing, the busyiness of my mind.  This exercise was a little more complicated because I was not hearing voices to guide my thinking.  The sound effects of the sea helped me to relax but I still lack total focus.  This is going to take lots of practice on my part.

The connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness are vital, intricate parts to the whole person.  They are interrelated.  All parts must be well and in sync with each other for optimal health and wellness (human flourishing).  This connection is manifested in my life through prayer, moderate exercise (my long walks on the beach), reading and engaging in board games with my sons.

~Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment